Beth Shockley, DNREC Public Affairs, 739-9902
DNREC receives top awards from the Delaware Press Association
DOVER (May 2, 2014) – DNREC’s Outdoor Delaware magazine and several website videos also produced by DNREC’s Public Affairs section took several top honors at the 2014 Delaware Press Association (DPA) Communications contest. Held annually, the awards are sponsored by DPA, a member of the National Federation of Press Women, and judged by professional journalists from out of state to ensure impartiality.
- Outdoor Delaware’s photo essay, “The Beauty of Cape Henlopen,” written and photographed by Kevin Fleming, took a First Place award, in the Photographer/Writer category;
- Outdoor Delaware magazine, edited by Beth Shockley, received a 3rd place recognition in the Publications Regularly Edited by Entrant category;
- Outdoor Delaware magazine’s story, “Delaware’s First Environmentalists,” written by Josephine Eccel about the Lenape Native Americans, took an Honorable Mention prize in the highly competitive Feature Story category.
Also in DNREC’s Public Affairs Section, awards were given for Videos Produced for a Website, which in DNREC’s case, were produced by in-house staffers - produced, shot, scripted, edited and voiced by Mike Polo, Matt Cardona and Phil Miller:
- 2nd Place award for “Restoring Mirror Lake; an effort to remediate longtime pollution in Dover’s Mirror Lake;
- 3rd place for the “GoApe,” a promotional video highlighting the new zip line tree adventure at Lums Pond;
- Honorable Mention for the video, “Wildlife Habitat,” exploring DNREC’s efforts to restore and protect wildlife in the First State.
Winners were celebrated at an awards banquet on May 1st in the Ballroom of the University & Whist Club in Wilmington, which featured displays of the winning entries, and speaker Gloria J. Browne-Marshall, J.D., M.A., who gave a riveting presentation on “Covering the Nation’s Highest Court: An Inside View.” She is a DPA member, legal correspondent, and associate professor of constitutional law at John Jay College in New York.
DNREC’s winning entries are featured via the following links:
For Outdoor Delaware’s awards, please visit:
To view the winning videos, visit this YouTube address:
Vol. 44, No.129