Contact: Lee Ann Walling, DNREC Sustainable Planning Section, 302-739-9006
Second Fort DuPont Complex meeting to feature concepts and ideas
Community input and analysis results in three alternatives for future development
DOVER (Jan. 19, 2013) – The second of three planned community meetings on the future of the Historic Fort DuPont Complex will be held in the Delaware City Fire Hall at 7 p.m. on Monday, February 4.
Sasaki Associates, the planning and design firm working with the state on the project, has interviewed dozens of stakeholders – from community leaders to cabinet secretaries to recreational users of the 325-acre property. At the second community meeting the Sasaki team will present a summary of community input from the November meeting and website response, analysis update, and preliminary master plan principles and three concepts for the Fort DuPont Complex. The community will be asked to provide input on the draft principles and concepts in round-table discussions.
After the February 4 meeting, Sasaki and state participants will refine master-plan concepts based on the input from the community and other stakeholders.
About 120 persons attended the first community meeting Nov. 8 for the future of the Historic Fort DuPont Complex.
Fort DuPont, named after Rear Admiral Samuel Francis DuPont, originated during the Civil War. Along with Fort Delaware and Fort Mott, New Jersey, it successfully defended this strategic point along the Delaware River from naval attack through 1921. Of the three, Fort DuPont was the main defense site during World War I. The fort housed prisoners of war from Germany’s Afrika Corps during World War II, and was decommissioned after the war ended. Governor Bacon Health Center opened on the site in 1947.
The site contains six Endicott Era (1885-1905) gun batteries, named for President Grover Cleveland’s Secretary of War, William C. Endicott. DNREC maintains a boat launch into the Branch Canal adjoining Delaware City, and historic groups have adopted some of the buildings for renovation. Trails within the park are frequented by birdwatchers.
The Delaware City Fire Hall is located at 815 Fifth St. (DE Route 9).
Vol. 43, No. 17