Skip to Page Content Governor | General Assembly | Courts | Elected Officials | State Agencies
  Photo: Featured Delaware Photo
  Phone Numbers   Mobile   Help   Size   Print   Email

Skip Navigation LinksDNREC : State Emergency Response Commission : Services : Toxics Release Inventory Reporting (EPCRA Section 313)

Delaware Seal

 Toxics Release Inventory Reporting (EPCRA Section 313)

Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know

DNREC Web Reboot Project Logo

This page has been updated and replaced as part of the DNREC Web Reboot Project.

The new location for this page is

Please update your links and bookmarks.

Learn more.

This summary is to provide an introduction to EPCRA related responsibilities for Delaware businesses but does not attempt to fully explain all aspects of the applicable laws and regulations; the actual Federal and State regulations must be consulted for complete information. Compliance with this summary will not be a defense to a violation of the laws or regulations.

What is toxics release inventory (TRI) reporting?
Facilities covered under TRI are required to report on-site releases, off-site transfers, and on-site waste management activities related to their use of certain toxic chemicals. This information is compiled and made available to the public.

Who should report?
Reports must be filed by owners/operators of facilities that meet all three of the following criteria:
1. The facility has the equivalent of 10 or more full-time employees
2. The facility is classified in a covered North American Industrial Classification System (NAICS) Code, or is a federal facility.
3. The facility manufactures (defined to include importing), processes, or otherwise uses a listed toxic chemical in quantities equal to or greater than the established threshold in the course of a calendar year. The thresholds for non-Persistent Bioaccumulative Toxic (PBT) chemicals are as follows:

Manufactured or Processed - 25,000 pounds
Otherwise Used - 10,000 pounds

For PBT chemicals, the thresholds are in the range of 10-100 pounds and are specific to the chemical. The threshold for Dioxins, a special PBT, is 0.1 grams.

For more specific information regarding covered NAICs codes or other reporting criteria, such as the definitions of full-time employee, manufacture, process, and otherwise use, please contact the Delaware EPCRA Reporting Program or the U.S. EPA Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) Program.

Which chemicals should be reported?

The list of reportable chemicals for the TRI program currently contains over 600 specific chemicals and chemical categories identified by the U.S. EPA. The list is dynamic, however, and is subject to change as a result of petitions or EPA review. An updated list of TRI chemicals can be obtained by contacting either the Delaware EPCRA Reporting Program, or through direct access from the U.S. EPA Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) Program.

How should facilities report?

Facilities must complete a Form "R" for each reportable chemical, utilizing EPA’s Automated TRI-ME web reporting application.  Although facilities that meet certain criteria may submit an abbreviated report called Form "A" for a reportable chemical, DNREC recommends all reports be submitted on Form R.  After a facility determines that it must report on a given chemical, the facility is eligible to use Form A for that chemical if,

For non-PBTs:

  1. The sum of releases does not exceed  500 pounds , and
  2. The total annual amount of the chemical manufactured, processed, or otherwise used does not exceed 1,000,000 pounds.

For PBT’s, NO PBT’s may be reported on Form A

DIOXINS must be reported using Schedule 1, available in TRI-ME web.
Form A is a two-page report that only provides facility information (essentially the same as Part 1 on the Form R) and the identification of the chemical, but no release, transfer, and waste management data.  Because of the lack of data, DNREC does not recommend use of Form A.

Reporting instructions can be obtained by contacting either the Delaware EPCRA Reporting Program or the U.S. EPA Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) Program.  For Delaware facilities, reports are to be submitted using EPA’s TRI reporting program, TRI-ME web, and submitted over the internet to EPA’s Central Data Exchange (CDX) system. TRI-ME Web does not require loading on your computer to file the reports. Completed reports submitted to the EPA TRI-ME web CDX system will be automatically forwarded to DNREC and do not require an additional certification letter. There are no reporting fees associated with Toxics Release Inventory reporting in Delaware.

When should facilities report?

Forms are due annually by the first business day following June 30 (normally July 1) covering activities at the facility during the previous calendar year.

site map   |   about this site   |    contact us   |    translate   |