The St. Jones Reserve
The St. Jones Reserve component of the Delaware National Estuarine Research Reserve (DNERR) is located on the north shore of the St. Jones River, off Kitts Hummock Road, south of Dover in Kent County and includes a portion of Delaware Bay.
The St. Jones Center for Estuarine Studies at the Reserve is open to the public and provides hiking trails, hands-on interactive activities and exhibits, restoration demonstration areas as well as a variety of programs and volunteer opportunities for the community, teachers, students, and families. The Center also supports ongoing research and monitoring, field studies, citizen monitoring programs, and training opportunities for coastal decision makers.
Visitors are welcome to tour the St. Jones Center for Estuarine Studies (offices, displays and fish tanks), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (closed on official State holidays) and enjoy the wonders of estuaries through our interpretive exhibits. The trails are open from dawn to dusk 7 days a week and free of charge. Take note of posted signs during hunting seasons which may result in area closures.
To learn more check out our St. Jones Reserve Fast Facts!
St. Jones Reserve
818 Kitts Hummock Road
Dover, DE 19901
- The St. Jones Reserve features a two-mile nature trail, a part of the St. Jones Greenway, with a quarter-mile boardwalk over the salt marsh that connects the Reserve with the adjacent Ted Harvey Wildlife Management Area.
- Earn activities for your Outdoor Delaware Trail Passport!
- The buildings at the St. Jones Reserve are designed with state of the art sustainable infrastructure, including a geothermal heating and cooling system, an on-site wetland based tertiary wastewater treatment system and a photo-voltaic (solar panel) system.
- Meeting spaces available for rental for educational, governmental, natural resources, and non-profit groups.
- Educational activities and exhibits in the Visitor Center, open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- The Alvin G. Wilson Conservation Demonstration Area provides a living exhibit where people can see a large variety of conservation practices installed.
St. Jones Reserve Fast Facts
St Jones Trail Guide (available at the Visitor Center)
Calendar of Events
The St. Jones Tributary/Photo: Life on the Edges
St. Jones Reserve Visitor Center