On June 15, 2010 Delaware’s governor signed SB 215 as presented by the 145th Delaware General Assembly. SB 215 provides an exception to Title 21 vehicle registration requirements for vehicles being driven by Delaware Emission Education Program ("DEEP") certified emission repair technicians during drive cycle testing. SB 215 also added to Title 7 a new section 6709, Permits for operation of motor vehicles during testing. Section 6709 provides for this vehicle registration exception to be administered by DNREC through the establishment of a new permitting program.
The purpose of this action is to update 7 DE Admin Code 1131 to establish the permitting program stipulated by SB 215.
Delaware's proposed schedule for revising 7 DE Admin Code 1131 is:
- Start Action Notice Approved - Completed on October 11, 2010
- Work Group 1st Meeting - Held on November 9, 2010
- Work Group 2nd Meeting - Held on Jauary 18, 2011
- Draft Regulatory Language Available - Initail Draft released on or about March 28, 2011
- Public Workshops - March 28, 29, and 31, 2011
- Proposed Regulatory Language Published in the Delaware Register - March 1, 2012
- Public Hearing - Held on Monday, April 2, 2012
- Secretary's Order signed - May 15, 2012
- Final Regulatory Language Published in the Delaware Register - June 1, 2012
- Effective Date - June 11, 2012
SB 215 Permits and Certified Emission Repair Technician Applications
The SB 215 permit to operate unregistered vehicles while conducting drive cycle testing will be issued to ALL Delaware DEEP certified emission repair technicians at the time of application. Section 8.0 of Regulation 1131 presents the regulartory language for this process to occur. Section 8.0 applies to ALL technicians who wish to become certified emission repari technicians regardless of what county they work.
Work Group Materials
Work Shop Materials
Workshops have been scheduled for Monday, March 28th at the DelTech Stanton Campus, Tuesday, March 29th at the DelTech Owens Campus, and Thursday, March 31st at the DelTech Terry Campus. All meetings begin at 7:00 p.m.
Public Hearing Materials
A Public Hearing has been scheduled for Monday, April 2, 2012 at the DNREC Richardson & Robbins Auditorium at 7:00 p.m.
For more information regarding Regulation No. 1131 in Delaware contact:
655 S. Bay Road, Suite 5N
Dover, DE 19901
Main line – (302) 739-9402
Fax line – (302) 739-3106
Last Revised: 7/23/12