The Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC) has begun the rule-making process to amend Air Pollution Control Regulation No. 1142 – “ Specific Emission Control Requirements”. The Department is proposing to add Section 2 to the existing regulation, which will set up specific limits for emission rates of nitrogen oxides (NOx) from industrial boilers and process heaters at petroleum refineries with heat inputs equal to or greater than 200 million British thermal units per hour (mmBTU/hr). The Department believes that addition of Section 2 will help protect public health, safety, and welfare in Delaware from the targeted pollutant. To aid in the development of the regulatory requirements and associated language, a review committee has been established. The committee is made up of DNREC AQM staff members, persons with environmental interests, persons impacted by the emissions from the targeted sources, and owners/operators of target facilities, plus relevant governmental agencies, to reflect interests of all stakeholders. This website collects and summarizes the efforts and progresses being made by DNREC and the review committee.
Five (5) committee meeting have been scheduled between March and August, 2006. They are:
- Meeting 1, from 10 to 12 noon, on March 15th;
- Meeting 2, from 10 to 12 noon, on April 20th;
- Meeting 3, from 10 to 12 noon, on June 21st (this meeting is postponed from May 17th);
- Meeting 4, from 10 to 12 noon, on July 19th;
- Meeting 5, from 10 to 12 noon, on August 16th. ***This meeting has been postponed to August 23rd in the Lukens Drive office.
Unless noted otherwise, all meetings will be held in the large conference room in AQM’s New Castle Office at 715 Grantham Lane, New Castle, DE. The office telephone number is(302)323-4542. A location map can be obtained from the following link:
- Reg. 1142 Sec. 2 Start Action Notice
- Reg. 1142 Sec. 2 Regulation Review Committee
- First Review Committee Meeting 3/15/2006
- Second Review Committee Meeting 4/19/2006
- Third Review Committee Meeting - Postponed to 6/21/2006
- Fourth Review Committee Meeting 7/19/2006
- Fifth Review Committee Meeting 8/16/2006 - Postponed to 8/23/06
The committee has scheduled a public workshop on October 5, 2006, from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm, in the AQM Grantham Lane Conference Room.
- Meeting Materials:
- Post-Workshop Comments and Discussion:
- Premcor Comments on Draft 3, as of October 20, 2006
- American Lung Association Comments, as of October 24, 2006
- Mid-Atlantic Law Center Comments, as of October 25, 2006
- Comment Chain (email), as of October 26, 2006
- Premcor Response to Comments, as of November 10, 2006
- Drafts of Reg. 1142, Section 2
The Department cancelled the public hearing scheduled for December 5, 2006. The meeting has been rescheduled for March 6, 2007 startng at 6:00 p.m. in DNREC's Conference Room A, 319 Lukens Drive, New Castle DE 19711.
The final regulatory requirements were finalized and became effective on July, 11, 2007.
For information regarding Regulation No. 1142 in Delaware please contact:
Mr. Frank Gao
715 Grantham Lane
New Castle , DE 19720
Main line – (302) 323-4542
Fax line – (302) 323-4598