Skip to Page Content Governor | General Assembly | Courts | Elected Officials | State Agencies
  Photo: Featured Delaware Photo
  Phone Numbers   Mobile   Help   Size   Print   Email

Skip Navigation LinksDNREC : Division of Waste & Hazardous Substances : SHWM

Infectious Waste


DNREC Web Reboot Project Logo

This page has been updated and replaced as part of the DNREC Web Reboot Project.

The new location for this page is

Please update your links and bookmarks.

Learn more.

The Solid and Hazardous Waste Management Section regulates the treatment, packaging, storage, transportation, and disposal of infectious waste in the state. The detailed requirements can be found in the Delaware Regulations Governing Solid Waste. All generators must submit a registration application to the Solid and Hazardous Waste Management Section to obtain an Infectious Waste Identification Number.

Home-generated infectious waste disposal options
Most infectious waste is generated at medical and health care facilities. Individuals who generate medical waste for health care treatment in their own home, such as an insulin-dependent diabetic, are considered home "sharps" users. Sharp waste, including lancets, hypodermic needles, syringes, scalpel blades, and non household glass articles that have been broken, should be packaged into a rigid container, the lid should be securely taped and then double bagged prior to putting in your household trash. This is to protect other family members and solid waste workers who must handle the waste.

Common household containers which meet the description of rigid are: liquid detergent and bleach bottles, two-liter soda bottles, and coffee cans if the lid is securely taped to the can. These containers can then be placed in your household trash. Home-generated sharp wastes are also accepted at household hazardous waste collection events sponsored by the Delaware Solid Waste Authority (DSWA).

Transporters of infectious waste
Any person who transports infectious wastes must obtain a permit from the Solid and Hazardous Waste Management Branch. A motor vehicle that does not have a valid Infectious Waste Transporter Permit may not be used for transporting infectious wastes. To request a Transporter Permit Application or to find out more information contact:

Tara Grazier
Senior Environmental Compliance Specialist
Solid and Hazardous Waste Management Section
Phone: 302.739.9403

Permit application
A completed permit application must be accompanied by a $350 payment. This includes a nonrefundable $300 permit fee and a $50 public notice fee. A check, made payable to the "State of Delaware," must be submitted with the permit application. 

For more information on Infectious Waste, contact:

Lindsey Douglas
Environmental Scientist
Solid and Hazardous Waste Management Section
Phone: 302.739.9403

site map   |   about this site   |    contact us   |    translate   |