Skip to Page Content Governor | General Assembly | Courts | Elected Officials | State Agencies
  Photo: Featured Delaware Photo
  Phone Numbers   Mobile   Help   Size   Print   Email

Skip Navigation LinksDNREC : Division of Waste & Hazardous Substances : Site Investigation & Restoration : SIRS Frequently Asked Questions

 SIRS Frequently Asked Questions


Environmental scientists taking samplesQuestion: Where can I get copies of the rules and regulations for the State's Hazardous Substance Cleanup Act?

Answer: Go to the
Laws, Regulations, Guidance & Policies page to download the documents you are interested in. To request a paper copy or electronic copy on a disk, please call 302-395-2600.

Q. Does a consultant have to be approved by the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control to work on investigation or cleanup of sites in Delaware?

A. Consultants interested in working on a site for a party in Delaware, need to be approved by the Department, if the party needs a sign off from the Department on the work done by the consultant. For more information on the approval process, please go to the
Consultant Qualifications page.

Q. Can I get a list of consultants approved by DNREC?

A.Yes, go to the HSCA Certified Consultant list

Q. Where can I get information on loans and grants available for the Brownfield Program?

A. Please go to the
Brownfield Program page for more information.

Q. What is considered a hazardous substance?

A. A hazardous substance is any solid, liquid, or gas that can have the potential to harm humans, animals, or the environment. A hazardous substance may be radioactive, flammable, explosive, toxic, or corrosive. They also include substances that can be a biohazard, an oxidizer, a pathogen, or an irritant.

As per the Delaware Regulations Governing Hazardous Substance Cleanup, hazardous substance means (a) any hazardous waste as defined in 7 Del.C., Ch. 63 or any hazardous waste designated by regulation promulgated pursuant to 7 Del. C., Ch. 63; (b) any hazardous substance as defined in CERCLA or regulations promulgated pursuant thereto; (c) petroleum, including crude oil or any fraction therof; however, any release of hazardous substances from an underground storage tank which is regulated by 7 Del. C., Ch. 74 or regulations promulgated thereto is not subject to these regulations except that such a release is eligible for funding under Subsection 14.1; (d) any substance in sufficient concentrations which the Secretary through regulation determines may present risk to the public health, welfare, or the environment.

Q. If I suspect someone is illegally dumping contaminants, who should I contact? 

A. The Emergency Response Team at 800-662-8802. 

Please call the SIRS office at 302-395-2600 if you have any further questions. 

site map   |   about this site   |    contact us   |    translate   |