Skip to Page Content Governor | General Assembly | Courts | Elected Officials | State Agencies
  Photo: Featured Delaware Photo
  Phone Numbers   Mobile   Help   Size   Print   Email

Skip Navigation LinksDNREC : Division of Waste & Hazardous Substances : Site Investigation & Restoration : Voluntary Cleanup Program

 Voluntary Cleanup Program


DNREC Web Reboot Project Logo

This page has been updated and replaced as part of the DNREC Web Reboot Project.

The new location for this page is

Please update your links and bookmarks.

Learn more.

Visibly contaminated soil outside of a retaining wallThe Voluntary Cleanup Program (VCP) is available to all parties who may be liable for the contamination of a property, but who wish to settle their liabilities with the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC) under the Hazardous Substance Cleanup Act (HSCA). If you are a current owner of a contaminated property, you may volunteer to clean up the site before DNREC orders you to perform a cleanup under HSCA. This could result in a speedier and less costly cleanup.

The Remediation Section (RS) (Formerly known as the Site Investigation and Restoration Section (SIRS)) welcomes your application for admission into the Voluntary Cleanup Program. In the application, you will be required to give details of any past investigations conducted at the site. Based on the information provided, The RS will determine the eligibility of the site to be cleaned up under the VCP. If the site is determined to be eligible, you will be required to sign a VCP Agreement to allow the RS to oversee the investigation and cleanup of the site and to pay for the cost of the Remediation Section oversight. Typically, a deposit is required up front.

You can terminate the agreement at any time during the investigation and cleanup (subject to certain conditions). Any remaining monies from the deposit will be returned to you at the end of the cleanup or at the time of termination of the agreement. DNREC may also terminate the agreement, if it is determined that you are not making a good faith effort to cleanup the property.

VCP-Related Documents

Sampling SOPs for VCP Sites

Please note that all consultants performing work under HSCA must be certified by the Department.  Please refer to the current list of HSCA-certified consultants. In addition, only laboratories which have been approved by the Department through an audit process may perform analytical work at sites being investigated under HSCA, the Voluntary Cleanup Program or the Brownfield Program. All the analytical work must be done in accordance with the Standard Operating Procedures for Chemical Analytical Programs under HSCA (SOPCAP). Please refer to the current list of HSCA-approved labs. 

For more information, please call the Remediation Section (RS) (Formerly known as the Site Investigation and Restoration Section (SIRS)) at (302) 395-2600.

site map   |   about this site   |    contact us   |    translate   |