Spring is here and Summer is on the way! Stay cool and save money with these tips:
- Close curtains, blinds, and shades on your south-facing windows during the hottest part of the day. This keeps the strong sunlight from heating your home.
- Use a programmable thermostat. Set your thermostat to 78 degrees when you are home and 85 degrees or off when you are away. Using ceiling or room fans allows you to set the thermostat higher because the air movement will cool the room.
- Postpone laundry and dishwashing until nighttime to avoid generating extra heat in your home and use the cold or warm wash cycle only. Also, line dry clothes whenever you can.
- Replace and clean air filters for better air quality and air flow.
- Add caulk or weatherstripping to seal air leaks around leaky doors and windows. Seal your ducts and attic.
- Use CFL or LED bulbs. They put out less heat and can save $30 to $40 in energy costs over the life of each bulb.
- If you are due to replace your air conditioner, buy an ENERGY STAR qualified model and save on your cooling costs.
- To learn more about these and other energy saving tips, visit the U.S. Department of Energy's website.