About Custom Incentives
Unlike the incentives for many prescriptive energy efficiency measures, custom incentives apply to more complex or one-of-a-kind measures that go beyond the equipment funded through the EEIF Prescriptive Grant Program. Custom incentives defray a significant portion of the project costs for high efficiency equipment. The customized incentives are based on incremental cost, calculated energy and demand savings of retrofit projects, cost effectiveness, and are limited by total project cost. This option allows for the greatest flexibility and creativity in design by providing an incentive on a facility-wide scale or on targeted assessments that save energy. The projects qualifying under this program are generally more complex and include aggressive measures that permanently raise the efficiency levels of standard equipment.
NOTE: Custom applications will be accepted on a limited basis, beginning July 1, 2016. All other applications will be accepted beginning Aug. 1, 2016.
Non-profit organizations may submit applications beginning July 1, 2016. Commercial and industrial organizations may submit applications beginning Aug. 1, 2016.
The following projects may be eligible for custom incentives:
- Building envelope
- Chillers and boilers
- Combined Heat and Power (CHP)
- Combustion controls
- Compressed air systems
- Demand control ventilation
- Energy management systems
- Heat recovery
- HVAC Systems
- Insulation and weatherization
- Lighting power density improvements
- Lighting Systems
- Plug load controls
- Process and manufacturing improvements
- Pumping systems
- Service water heating improvements
- Steam systems
- Variable speed drives
- Whole building deep energy retrofits
How to Apply
All projects require pre-approval prior to purchasing and installing the equipment. Download the EEIF Program Guidelines for complete eligibility details, terms and conditions, and program requirements. Projects that bring the building up to minimum energy code requirements will not be accepted.
Custom Grant Application Form
- Review all program eligibility requirements, guidelines, and application materials.
- Verify that your project meets the eligibility requirements specified on the EEIF Program Guidelines and Operational Procedures document. Contact DNREC Division of Energy & Climate at 302-735-3480 or email Emily.StClair@state.de.us with questions regarding program eligibility.
- Complete the Custom Grant Application. Refer to the application checklist and verify that all required information and supporting documentation is submitted. The applicant must review and agree to the EEIF Program terms and conditions listed on the application form by signing the application. Complete and sign the rebate assignment section of the application if the grant payment is to be issued to the contractor or vendor. The party receiving the grant payment must submit a State Substitute W-9 form electronically. The completed EEIF application form and supporting documents should be submitted by email to DNREC.EnergyEEIF@state.de.us.
- Wait for pre-approval letter. Projects will be reviewed by DNREC to confirm project eligibility. DNREC will issue pre-approval letters for approved projects. Upon receipt of the pre-approval letter, the applicant may purchase and install the approved equipment. Applicants must notify DNREC in writing if any changes need to be made to the pre-approved scope of work and equipment. All projects are subject to post-installation inspection.
- Upon project completion, applicants must submit a copy of the EEIF application form with the post-installation signature block completed and provide detailed invoices for the installed equipment. DNREC may require a post-installation inspection to verify compliance with the program rules, verify the accuracy of the project documentation, and inspect equipment operation. DNREC will process the grant payment within 6-8 weeks of receipt of the properly completed and signed application and invoice(s).