Skip to Page Content Governor | General Assembly | Courts | Elected Officials | State Agencies
  Photo: Featured Delaware Photo
  Phone Numbers   Mobile   Help   Size   Print   Email

Skip Navigation LinksDNREC : Division of Energy and Climate : Services : Other Services : WAP Frequently Asked Questions

 WAP Frequently Asked Questions

Question: What is the purpose of the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP)?
Answer: The purpose of WAP is to decrease utility costs for low-income families and make their homes more energy-efficient, while improving their comfort, health, and safety. The WAP places emphasis on serving children, the elderly, the disabled, and residents whose homes use a lot of energy year after year.

Q. How do I enroll in the Weatherization Assistance Program?
A. We are currently accepting applications for WAP. If you are interested in getting your home weatherized, please contact one of the Catholic Charities offices below:

       Residents of New Castle County: contact Catholic Charities at 302-654-9295
       Residents of Kent County: contact Catholic Charities at 302-674-1782
       Residents of Sussex County: contact Catholic Charities at 302-856-6310

Q. What type of services does your program provide?
A. We provide an energy audit completed in your home by a professional auditor, and many types of weatherization and/or HVAC services that are needed. These improvements can include air sealing, insulation, shell work, ventilation, emergency gas leaks, etc. WAP does not install windows or doors.

Q. Does WAP replace heating units or furnaces?
A. No, WAP does not typically replace heating units and/or furnaces.

Q. Do you have to own your home to get weatherization services, or can you be a renter?
A. In most cases, the owners are the residents of the home receiving the services. However, as long as a renter has permission from the homeowner to get weatherization services done on the home, services can be provided. WAP does not currently provide weatherization services to large multi-family dwellings.

Q. If I am already enrolled in WAP and would like to know my status, or when someone will be out to my house, who do I contact?
A. You will need to contact your local agency depending on where you live at the appropriate Catholic Charities office listed above.

Q. If I am a contractor looking for a copy of the Policies and Procedures Manual or the Updated Price List, where can I find these items on your website?
A. You can find copies of all documents pertaining to WAP on the Forms and Documents page.

Q. How would I know if I’m eligible to receive free weatherization services?
A. The primary factor affecting eligibility is income. In order to be eligible for weatherization assistance in the state of Delaware, your income has to fall below the "200 percent poverty level" as defined in the Poverty Income Guidelines

Once you are deemed eligibe for weatherization assistance, your local agency puts you on a waiting list. People most in need of services are often moved to the top of the waiting list.
If you are not eligible for WAP services because your income exceeds the income threshold, there may be some services available though Energize Delaware.

If you have any additional questions, please contact the Weatherization Team at 302-735-3480.

site map   |   about this site   |    contact us   |    translate   |