Skip to Page Content Governor | General Assembly | Courts | Elected Officials | State Agencies
  Photo: Featured Delaware Photo
  Phone Numbers   Mobile   Help   Size   Print   Email

Skip Navigation LinksDNREC : Division of Fish & Wildlife : Boating

Fish & Wildlife Enforcement Logo
 The 10 Most Frequently Asked Questions about Delaware Boating

By Delaware Boating Education Officer Sergeant John McDerby

Q. Who needs to take a boating exam?
All persons born on or after Jan.1, 1978.

Q. Where can I take a Boating Safety Class?
Boating Safety Classes are offered throughout the State. Please check our Boating Safety Calendar for a list of classes scheduled. Also you may take the course online at or

Q. What must I have to use a public boat ramp?
If your boat is currently registered in Delaware you DO NOT need to purchase a boat ramp certificate and have access to Division of Fish and Wildlife maintained boat ramps. If your boat is registered out of state you must purchase a boat ramp certificate.You may do so by completing this Boat Ramp Certificate Form and bringing it to any of the offices listed here.

Q. Who must wear a life jacket?
It is suggested that everyone wear a life jacket, but it is MANDATORY that all children 12 and under wear a life jacket.  All vessels must have a life jacket for each person on board.

Q. What are the laws regarding alcohol use on Delaware waters?
The Division of Fish and Wildlife Office of Boating Education suggests that no one consume alcohol while boating but if you chose to .08 is the maximum level of alcohol allowed by law. So if you decide to consume alcohol, do so responsibly.

Q. What is the minimum age for operating a jet ski?
You must be 16 years of age and successfully complete a Safe Boating Course.

Q. If I want to register my boat, where do I do it?
There are a few ways to register your boat in the state of Delaware. 
Return this completed form to:
Division of Fish and Wildlife
Office of Boat Registration
89 Kings Highway
Dover, DE 19901

Visit a Private Agent Location.

Visit the State Office of Boating Registration at 89 Kings Highway Dover, DE 19901

  *If you are renewing a registration or requesting an address change you may do so online at Delaware eGov.

Q. I lost my Boating Education card how can I get a replacement?
You can call the Office of Boating Education at (302) 739-9915 or you can submit your request by email to Please include your name, date of birth, current address, and a telephone number you can be reached at.

Q. I would like a copy of your Boating Handbook where can I get it?
Call the Office of Boating Education at 302-739-9915 to request a Boating Handbook or email Boating Education Officer, Sgt. Brooke Africa at

Q. I have already completed my Boating Safety course and would like to continue my education where can I receive additional training?
There are several organizations that offer additional training classes. Please visit these web sites for additional information. or

site map   |   about this site   |    contact us   |    translate   |