Skip to Page Content  |  Text Only Governor | General Assembly | Courts | Elected Officials | State Agencies
  Photo: Featured Delaware Photo
  Phone Numbers   Mobile   Help   Size   Print   Email

Skip Navigation LinksDNREC : Division of Fish & Wildlife


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for the Division of Fish & Wildlife


Wildlife Section
General information

Fisheries Section
General Information

Enforcement Section

I have a problem with a nuisance animal on my property (raccoon, skunk, geese, etc.). Do you remove them?
The Enforcement Section does not trap or remove nuisance animals (raccoons, skunks, geese, etc.) from your property or residence. You must contact a private animal/pest control business.

For questions, contact our Enforcement Office at 302-739-9913 or the Wildlife Section at 302-739-9912, Monday - Friday, from 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

  • If you find abandoned or orphaned wildlife, click here.
  • To report information on possible rabies exposure, call the Rabies Control 24-Hour Hotline: 302-744-4995 or 1-866-972-9705 
  • For information about exotic animals, contact the Delaware Department of Agriculture which handles those inquiries.

How do I contact an enforcement agent if I have a question?
You may phone our communications center at 800-523-3336 or 302-739-4580, and ask the dispatcher to have the enforcement agent handling complaints in your county to return your call. Then leave a phone number where the agent may contact you.

What do I do if I lose my Boating Education Certificate or Hunter Education Card?
To receive a duplicate Boating Education Certificate, call the Boating Education program office at 302-739-9915 and request a duplicate card.

To print a new Hunter Education Card

Please call the Hunter Education Office with any questions at 302-735-3600.

I have or want an exotic animal. What do I need to do?
Permits for exotic species are not handled by the Division of Fish and Wildlife. They are controlled and issued by the Delaware Department of Agriculture.

How old does my child need to be to operate a powerboat?
The age at which a child may operate a powerboat is a parental decision. However, anyone born on or after January 1, 1978, may not operate a vessel required to be registered in Delaware or any other state, or documented by the United States Coast Guard, without first successfully completing a National Association of Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) approved boating course. In addition, Delaware Law further restricts the operators of Personal Watercraft. The operator of a personal watercraft, in addition to possessing a Boating Education Certificate, must be 16 years of age, except that a person 14-16 years of age may operate a personal watercraft if such operation occurs under the direct supervision of  said person’s parent or legal guardian. Direct supervision means a parent or legal guardian would be able to take any necessary action to avoid a collision.

Wildlife Species Conservation and Research Program

Private Lands Program

What kinds of programs are offered at the center?
We offer a variety of programs and resources to engage diverse audiences in learning about and experiencing aquatic resources in Delaware. These include: field trips, outreach programs, curriculum projects, loaner kits, aquatic stewardship projects, schoolyard habitat support, special events and outdoor experiences targeting under-served populations. A strong emphasis on wetlands and fisheries education is featured.

What facilities and amenities are available at the ARE Center?
The ARE Center is located in the scenic salt marsh Delaware Bay-bordering environs of the Woodland Beach Wildlife Area (on Route 9 east of Smyrna). Facilities include a day-use conference center and overnight lodge (sleeps 40), both of which are available for aquatic resource education-related programs, workshops, meetings and events.  In addition to access to a variety of pond, tidal stream, marsh, swamp and vernal pool habitats, on-site amenities include: a 940-foot salt marsh boardwalk loop, an outdoor classroom/pavilion, assorted walking trails, and youth catch-and-release fishing ponds (including one with a special needs-access fishing pier).  Canoes, fishing tackle, sampling nets, water test kits, and a variety of activity kits are also available for loan/use by groups using the Center for aquatic education programs.

What are the requirements for use of ARE facilities and programs?
All ARE programs are provided at no charge, with the exception of certain extended day or weekend workshops that require a modest registration fee (mainly to cover the cost of meals provided). Access to most programs and resources is contingent upon attendance of a workshop by the teacher or group leader.  Facilities use is free to groups doing aquatic education programs, contingent on group leader attendance at the requisite workshop, and submission of an agenda illustrating the activity focus. Summer/winter use of facilities (outside the spring/fall school-use busy season) by other agencies and organizations for non-aquatic education related meetings and events are available for a modest fee. 

How can one sign up for ARE workshops, programs or facilities use?
For information on upcoming ARE workshops and events, call the ARE office at 302- 653-2882. Most ARE teacher workshops are included in the Delaware Teacher’s Center (DTC) catalog and on-line listings. To register, call 302-736-6723.

Mosquito Control Section

about this site   |    contact us   |    translate   |