Skip to Page Content Governor | General Assembly | Courts | Elected Officials | State Agencies
  Photo: Featured Delaware Photo
  Phone Numbers   Mobile   Help   Size   Print   Email

Skip Navigation LinksDNREC : Division of Fish & Wildlife : Delaware Private Lands Assistance Program : Services : Delaware Phragmites Control Cost-Share Program

 Delaware Phragmites Control Cost-Share Program

DNREC Web Reboot Project Logo

This page has been updated and replaced as part of the DNREC Web Reboot Project.

The new location for this page is

Please update your links and bookmarks.

Learn more.

Phragmites is aggressive and can out-compete native marsh grasses.

Do you have undeveloped wetlands on your property, such as tidal or nontidal freshwater or brackish marshes, ponds or impoundments? Are they being taken over by phragmites? The Division of Fish & Wildlife may have a program for you! The Phragmites Control Cost-Share Program provides technical and financial assistance to Delaware landowners who are interested in marsh restoration programs.

Aerial spraying.A single Phragmites stalk.


What is the Delaware Phragmites
Control Cost-share Program?

The Delaware Phragmites Control Cost-share Program is offered by DNREC's Division of Fish & Wildlife to improve wildlife habitat in wetlands that have been degraded by the invasive phragmites.The Division’s research has shown that effective phragmites control is possible in many areas with consecutive late summer (August through mid-October) applications of Glyphosate-based aquatic herbicides.

The Division of Fish & Wildlife and the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) recently decided to create a partnership to utilize federal Wildlife Habitat Incentive Program (WHIP) money. This partnership will enable the financial assistance to be increased so that state and federal money will cover 87.5 percent of the cost, with the landowner contributing the remaining 12.5 percent (about $5 per acre treated).

The Division will be responsible for purchasing the herbicide, determining the herbicide application timing and rates, coordinating the aerial spraying and providing technical assistance.

Phragmites Control Cost-Share Program Frequently Asked Questions

How do I qualify?

  • Must have a minimum of 5 acres of phragmites and a maximum of 200 acres to be spray treated with herbicide
  • Must agree to have the property treated for three years
  • Drainage ditches are not eligible
  • Assistance is on a first come first serve basis with a mid-summer application deadlineClick here for tips for controlling Phragmites.

How do I apply?

The federal portion of the application can be obtained at the appropriate County USDA Service Center based on property location:

 New Castle County
2430 Old County Rd

 Kent County
800 Bay Rd, Suite 2

 Sussex County
408 N Dupont Hwy

For questions about or interest in the Phragmites Control Cost-Share Program, please email Bill Jones or call 302-284-4795. 

site map   |   about this site   |    contact us   |    translate   |