Skip to Page Content  |  Text Only Governor | General Assembly | Courts | Elected Officials | State Agencies
  Photo: Featured Delaware Photo
  Phone Numbers   Mobile   Help   Size   Print   Email

Skip Navigation LinksDNREC : Division of Watershed Stewardship : Shoreline and Waterway Management

Flood Mitigation Information



Question: Do I need a permit to build in the floodplain?

Answer: In most parts of Delaware, permits are required for construction and other land-altering activities in a floodplain.  These permits are required to determine whether proposed construction activities comply with Federal and Local floodplain regulations.  Contact your local code enforcement or zoning department.

Q. How do I find out if I am in a floodplain?

A. The official sources of floodplain information are the Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) published by FEMA.  However, all three counties in Delaware make floodplain information available on their websites which are often more comprehensive than the FIRMs. Links to these web sites are:



site map   |   about this site   |    contact us   |    translate   |