Skip to Page Content Governor | General Assembly | Courts | Elected Officials | State Agencies
  Photo: Featured Delaware Photo
  Phone Numbers   Mobile   Help   Size   Print   Email

Skip Navigation LinksDNREC : Division of Water : Information : Surface Water Discharges Information : Surface Water Discharges Biosolids


Land Treatment of Waste (Biosolids and Residuals)

Liquid biosolids being offloaded from a tanker truck for land application.Biosolids are defined as solid, semisolid, or liquid residues generated during primary, secondary, or advanced treatment of domestic sanitary sewage through one or more controlled processes that reduce pathogens and attractiveness to vectors (flies, birds, rodents).

These processes include, among others, anaerobic digestion, aerobic digestion, and lime stabilization. The term "Biosolids" is related to the definition of sewage sludge found in Part 31, Water Resources Protection of the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act, 1994 PA 451, as amended; however biosolids are only that portion of sewage sludge that has undergone adequate treatment to permit its application to land.



  • Biosolids Application - relative to Part III, starts on page 86, Section 100.0 of the regulations
  • Waste and Residuals Application - relative to Part V, starts on page 142, Section 161.0 of the regulations

Related links: 

For more information about Land Treatment of Waste, please call Brian Churchill, 302-739-9946, or via email:

Return to Surface Water Discharges Section


site map   |   about this site   |    contact us   |    translate   |