Skip to Page Content Governor | General Assembly | Courts | Elected Officials | State Agencies
  Photo: Featured Delaware Photo
  Phone Numbers   Mobile   Help   Size   Print   Email

Skip Navigation LinksDNREC : Division of Water : Services : Other Services : Water Supply Wells Permit Branch


DNREC Web Reboot Project Logo

This page has been updated and replaced as part of the DNREC Web Reboot Project.

The new location for this page is

Please update your links and bookmarks.

Learn more.

Water Supply Section - Well Permits Branch
The Well Permits Branch is responsible for managing and issuing well construction and use permits for wells that withdraw 50,000 gallons or less of water daily. That responsibility includes conducting inspections of wells, licensing companies and individuals who construct wells and install and repair or service pumps in and for wells, and maintaining a data base on the construction and status of all wells for which a well construction or use permit has been issued.

Well Construction and Use Permits:
The Delaware Regulations Governing the Construction and Use of Wells was revised effective April 1,1997. The revised regulations contain criteria for obtaining a well permit and constructing wells. A licensed water well contractor must complete and sign the application form. The property owner's signature is also required on the application. An Agent Authorization form may be submitted to substitute a signature other than the owner's signature on the well permit application form. The Agent Authorization form must be signed by the property owner and must be notarized. It is designed for use in instances when the owner is or will not be available to sign the application form and wishes to designate another person to act for them in that respect.

All wells in Delaware must be constructed by a well driller or well driver licensed with this agency. The required application and reporting forms are available to licensed water well contractors upon request. The General Requirements and Guidelines for the Construction of Monitor and Observation Wells contain specific regulatory requirements as well as additional recommendations for use by engineers, designers and contractors to use when preparing monitor and observation well applications. 

Contractor License Requirements:

The Regulations for Licensing Water Well Contractors, Pump Installer Contractors, Well Drillers, Well Drivers and Pump Installers contains the requirements for obtaining licenses as a water well contractor, pump installer contractor, pump installer, well driller and well driver. The Application for License Form must be used when submitting an application for any of the licenses. Applications for well driller, well driver and pump installer licenses must be submitted with the Attachment to Application for License Form and two Professional Reference Forms. Applications for water well and pump installer contractor licenses must be submitted with a copy of the company's certificate of insurance reflecting a minimum coverage of $100,000 contractor liability insurance. All applications for new licenses must be completed in detail, signed and notarized.

The Regulations for Licensing Water Well Contractors, Pump Installer Contractors, Well Drillers, Well Drivers and Pump Installers revised in 1999 require that well drillers, well drivers and pump installers obtain continuing education hours in order to renew their licenses for the next calendar year. Several forms are available to facilitate the requirement. They are:

The most recent revisions to the Regulations for Licensing Water Well Contractors, Pump Installer Contractors, Well Drillers, Well Drivers and Pump Installers, became effective January 1, 2003.They clarify the continuing education requirements and reorganize the regulations into a more concise and reader friendly document, thereby reducing the potential for future misinterpretations.

Permit Application and License Fees
Fees for licenses and permit applications, including permits handled by the Water Allocation Branch, can be found by clicking on Application and License Fees.

Contractor Information and Updates:


Comments and/or suggestions regarding Contractor Information and Updates, please e-mail
Branch Supervisor: Alan Pongratz
Phone: 302-739-9944

site map   |   about this site   |    contact us   |    translate   |